Who Are We?
- Founded in 2000—Friends of the Hills is an organization of citizens dedicated to the preservation of the open space concept upon which our town was founded in 1956. The Town of Los Altos Hills was born out of need to be an unencumbered independent town – preserving its uniqueness within the Santa Clara Valley as a beautiful rural community with peaceful vistas of rolling foothills and natural open space.
- Members of Hills 2000 recognize and respect these founding principles: low density, homes with open space, pathways, sound environmental practices related to responsible water use, reducing carbon emissions, and enhancing fire safety – not only to preserve the fragile urban/rural balance but is among the major reasons that our Town has proven to be such an inspirational place to live.
- We invite you to join Hills 2000:
- Learn more about the issues affecting Los Altos Hills and to appreciate your town.
- Help protect our wonderful quality of life by supporting good government, intelligent planning, sound environmental protection and conservation.
- Improve communications between individual residents and between residents and our elected officials.
- Hills 2000—Friends of the Hills is committed to the protection and enrichment of the rural quality of life in Los Altos Hills and the preservation of its heritage and natural beauty through education, community involvement, and advocacy.
- Ensuring good government in our Town by providing the citizens with objective information about Town events and actions to provide a basis for informed political decisions.
- Encouraging a sense of community among our citizens by offering social and recreational opportunities for all ages.
- Engendering an appreciation for our Town’s heritage and ambience while working toward changes that meet the needs of the 21ST Century.
- Encouraging participation on volunteer Town Committees or as an elected official.
- Foster timely communications for members including by email, utilizing social media, website, newsletters, and direct neighbor to neighbor contact.
- Establish neighborhood “hosts” who will serve a resources and host coffee/socials for dissemination of information and networking.
- Assist in encouraging Emergency Preparedness network efforts through the implantation of CERT training opportunities for residents to use in emergencies and participation in neighborhood evacuation workshops provided by the Fire District.
- Develop a strong membership base that will serve to implement Hills 2000 goals.
- Provide social events that celebrate the attributes and bounty of Los Altos Hills, i.e., educational/social programs and Vines and Wines events.